Thursday 3 June 2010

Ardha-Chandrasana with Pada-Hastasana


Class Three of Thirty
(6.00pm, 3rd June, taught by Rachel)

Yayee! A good class... and that's very surprising bearing in mind how busy it was... I am talking 4 rows of yoga-junkies with the front row at the mirror! Think there are a couple of reasons that it was a better class: firstly the weather has got properly warm but not muggy, I drank around 3 litres of water today before class and the energy in the room was up tonight. As I have no control over the weather nor the energy of my fellow yogaholics I will just make sure that I have plenty to drink - I know, it's obvious, but it don't half make a difference!

It appears that there are people reading this as there was a reference at tonight's class to something I posted a few days ago. It appears that there will be demos of specific postures as part of the class. Have to say that this is a great idea though I had to giggle when Rachel suggested that she would be looking for volunteers... so long as it stays on Trikanasana I am staying well clear of the parapet, let alone putting my head above it!

So today is about Half-Moon and Hands to Feet Pose... Have to admit that this is quite a mixed bag for me. I struggle with understanding the instruction about being careful not to collapse into my back... I think I am getting it right but am hoping that the posture clinic will sort out any problems there might be. Then there is the backward bending... call me a freak but I really enjoy these. The slight trepidation of the first set and then the 'lets go for it' of the second set is one of the highlights of the class for me. The sense of satisfaction of getting a really nice deep back-bend just can't be beaten! As for Hands to Feet, well this is something of an odd one. It is one of those postures that reveals how well I have prepared for class.. if I have eaten or drank too much water there is a tightness just below my chest... vile! Then there are the days when I can get a really good stretch then I get the nipping in my hips and it feels like my hips could pop out of my pelvis - never quite sure if that is a good thing!

Now for the science part:

There are lots of benefits listed for both of these postures (improved flexibility, better posture, proper kidney function) but the one thing that gets my interest is the fact that both firm and trim the waistline... and all from a little bending to the left and to the right, staying straight as if between two panes of glass... bargain!

Well three down, twenty-seven to go, so it is off to practice some more Savasana... by the end of the thirty days I will have this posture down to a fine art!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment