Monday 7 June 2010

Water-break

Class Seven of Thirty
(7.15pm, 7th June, taught by Libby)

Third good class in a row! It was very busy tonight and it was very hot and humid but I have to say that I really enjoyed it! Got nice and deep into quite a few postures, including a great deep back bend in the second set...I do like doing them. It was nice to have Libby teach a class... there is a definite different vibe with each of the teachers despite the dialogue remaining the same. I think I only need a Hannah session and I will have the full set!

It did get me thinking though... With quite a lot of the postures it is hard to see what you look like and therefore where improvements could/should be made. I have certainly found watching the Trikansana sets that have been demonstrated. It is one thing looking at a picture but it is so much better if you can have a a good look from all angles. Yes there are the mirrors but it only gives one view - as we all know one of the ten commandments of the yoga studio is with the exception of a few postures 'the side mirror is for me, not for you, please look forwards...' I would like to know what I look like in some of the postures... maybe the studio should off a video service so you could watch your practice and identify where improvements can be made.

Despite having a good class I had to wimp out of Camel... I tried both sets but my head is still playing tricks with me and it seems that I only need to get to kneeling up and tipping my head back and I just either want to vomit, get mad palpitations or come over all emotional... but more about Camel around class 25.

So today is about the first water break... This is a great opportunity to mess with your head as the challenge is so often set down: 'If you have hydrated properly you may not need some...' There have been occasions when I haven't had a drink and it can make some of the balancing postures a little easier as despite being told to only take a sip self control is sometimes lacking! It is also a good opportunity to take stock of how the rest of the class is going to go, I have often found myself having to fight the urge not to breathe through my mouth at this point and wondering if I have the energy and/or determination to get through the balancing series...

So I am now a week through and as you will be able to see from the first week's posts it has been a bit of a roller-coaster so far. Having said that I am still enjoying it and am finding that the challenge has helped focus my mind on what else is going on with my practice rather than just the physical capability to pull some yogic shapes. I hadn't realised quite how much it affects my mood and also how much my mood prior to going to class affects my practice. I do, whenever possible, like to get to the studio early so I can have a nice long slow relax into the class first - it certainly helps deal with the frustrations of the M1 between junctions 15 and 21!!

Well I am off to hone my Savasana.

No comments:

Post a Comment