Thursday 17 June 2010

Savasana

Class Sixteen of Thirty
(6.00pm, 17th June, taught by Rachel)

What is going on? The third hellish class in a row! Well and truly died on my mat! I drank loads, ate properly but it just didn't work! I know that there are good days and bad days but it is amazingly difficult not to let it get me down! Still there are only 14 classes left so that is fewer than I have done and I am over the brow of the hill... I am NOT going to let it get me down, I WILL find that determination and I WILL DO IT!!

What I have learned so far in the challenge is that the Yoga Experience is only partly about the postures and flexibility, the bit that isn't talked about as much is the stuff that goes on in your head! This has been a real mental rollercoaster. I have been high as a kite, on the edge of tears and feeling totally drained and broken and all of this stood in a warm, moist room pulling a series of 26 shapes over 90 minutes! Beats the gym any day in my opinion!!!

What I have also learned is the value of yoga buddies (you know who you are!) They are the people catch your eye in the mirror and give the encouraging smile or look that says 'Come on... you can do it!'; they are the people who give that knowing look as your are leaving class that says 'Blimey that was tough but well done us for getting through it'; it's the people who inspire you to find the determination to dig deep and go for it through their practice on the mat next to you; it's the people who know just what to say when it all is getting a bit too much like hard work! To all of my yoga buddies I give you my heartfelt thanks! If you haven't got any yet can I suggest you acquire some, they make the whole experience so much more enjoyable... If you'd like one come and say hi at class and I will happily send you some positive vibes if I catch sight of you flagging in the mirror!

So I have talked about it lots, well tonight is all about Savasana. A deceptive little posture with a very unglamourous name... Dead Body Pose. It does take real determination to just relax, allow thoughts to pass and not distract and allow all the good that you have done flow around your body. I remember one of the teachers making a comment during one class that Bikram had said that you could tell how long someone had been practicing yoga by the speed they could get into Savasana... the longer you have practiced the quicker you can get into it. I have to say that there are days that I really struggle with it, my mind is racing, I am hot and bothered and my breathing is all over the place or I just want to close my eyes and drop off! However, there are also days when I just zone straight into it and it feels great. I do particularly like to get to class early and have 20 minutes of Savasana before I start. It allows me to acclimatise to the heat, to let go of all of the stuff that has been going on outside the studio and focus in on my practice and what I am about to do. (It does really make a difference when you can truly 'Set your intention to have a good class'.)

One of the biggest challenges has to be fighting the urge to itch, scratch or wipe the sweat - but at the end of the day these are only distractions and should be acknowledged, respected and allowed to pass - I know, easier said than done.

The other thing about Savasana is how it pops up during the class and often just feels too short. I often find myself between postures laying on my back in Savasana and being slightly narked when I am told to point my feet back, arms over my head and sit up, double exhale... and I was just getting comfortable! Again, it is all part of the mental rollercoaster of a ride that is Bikram Yoga (Maybe Mr Choudhury should have a chat with Alton Towers!!!)

OK so the science part (though I doubt there are any surprises here!):
  • This posture allows the blood circulation to return to normal
  • It teaches the ability to relax completely
Right, I am off to chill in some hardcore Savasana...

No comments:

Post a Comment