Wednesday 30 June 2010

Kapalbhati in Vajrasana

Class Twenty-Nine of Thirty
(7.45pm, 29th June, taught by Harbinder)

OH WHAT A NIGHT! I think it is fair to say this was probably the best class of the thirty days! Thank you so much Harbinder and fellow Bikram-Bunnies!!! The energy was up, the room was hot and humid as it was the last class of the day (but there were a couple of very welcome door open moments), the dialogue had momentum but wasn't rushed and the yoga just flowed! I think the Posture Clinic must have started to sink in and the effects of very nearly thirty days in the pit have started to show themselves. Unlike yesterday where I overdid it in the first part of the series and felt like I was practicing in someone else's body today I was there in the room, I managed to pace myself, my breathing was pretty much under control, there was no drama between poses, just refocus or savasana, and I only needed to stand out of one set of Triangle (didn't want to over do it... honesty in my practice!). I am still on a high! I just hope that tomorrow's class is as good. The 9.30 class is my number 30 and then I am 'treating' myself to an hour and a half of Advanced!!!! I am looking forward to it but it will mean that the show is over... still as Alice said tonight as I was leaving... it doesn't mean I can't still come in most days! Having said that I am quite looking forward to a few days off to let me body chill for a while and I can spend a little time up the allotment!

So today is about Kapalbhati breathing. What can I say? This is always nice as it means that within a couple of minutes time I will be able to have a drink and a lie down! There are days when it can be more hard work than others. I think that my training in music as a kid helps - my diaphragm is still fairly toned! I know that I am getting it right when I get light headed and have an odd metallic taste in my mouth... though at first I was a little worried about this effect! The other thing that makes me laugh, and was pointed out at the Posture Clinic - all the other postures/exercises are about sucking the belly in, holding it, not letting it hang out... then there is this and the dialogue demands that the belly is relaxed... BLISS!

The last bit of Science:

'This exercise strengthens all of the abdominal organs and increases circulation. It also makes the abdominal wall strong and trims the waistline' (Bikram's Beginning Yoga Class, Bikram Choudhury)

Well off for some Savasana... Tomorrow will be about the class itself and a look back over the roller-coaster ride I have been on over the last 30 days.

Only 1 to go... so nearly there!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment