Wednesday 16 June 2010

Tadasana

Class Fourteen of Thirty
(7.45pm, 15th June, taught by Libby)

Before I start on class fourteen I guess I need to explain about the missed class. I had thought of calling this post "It's Mayhem on the M1" for that is why I didn't get to class on 14th June. I was working in Derby that day and left at 5, made good progress down the M1 until just before Junction 22 when I hit a tail back. Traffic news informed me that there had been an accident on the Southbound M1 between 22 and 21a and both lanes were closed to allow the air ambulance to land. This lead to a diversion off at 22 and rejoining at 21a, which in turn meant traveling a mile and a half and taking an hour and three-quarters to do so, which in turn meant getting home at 7.05, picking my kit up and deciding at 7.10 that I couldn't get into town, parked and on my mat in time for the start of the 7.15 class! To say I was a little miffed is something of an understatement! I had that classic thing of feeling sorry for the people involved in the crash and hoping that they were alright but at the same time wondering why on earth it had to happen in front of me - not very Yogic I know!!! On the up side there have been quite a few questions about where my blog is and what is going on, so it is good to know it is being read. Also I was missed at class - which is nice to know!!

OK, so back to Yoga. Class fourteen... It was a tricky one! Rachel had commented that I should move from my nice spot by the door where there is a gentle breeze from the draft under the door - apparently it is too cold (!) and I should challenge myself to practicing elsewhere in the room. So I moved to the middle of the room which was certainly warmer. That coupled with the touch of 'Prickly Heat' I had developed having got a little sun burnt at the weekend at the allotment (aggravated by an scratchy towel) meant it was a tricky class. Apparently I looked at one point like I was going to pass out and then later in the floor series I came over all emotional was fully expected to burst into tears at any moment! To top it all Libby made some comment towards the end of the class about the levels of energy and enthusiasm and I must has either made a groaning noise or pulled a face as it made Rachel, who was practicing next me, laugh! Have to say that had Rachel not been there motivating me by just being so damned flexible I might have given up and ended up on the floor - so thanks for that Rachel!

So Tree Pose - I like this posture. I like the fact that it helps lower the heart rate and allows me to refocus on my breathing to help prepare for the floor series. I still have to work on the flexibility to get my foot up and held so I can get into Namaskar (hands in prayer in front of my chest) but I am able to get my foot right up and well on the way to my belly button so it is just a case of practice, practice, practice! The other challenge is pushing my hips forward and lengthening my spine, but again I am sure it will come with time.

So now for a wee bit of Arboriculture (Get it? Tree-science!!!!)

This improves posture and balance and increases flexibility in ankles, knees and hips. It should help prevent hernia due to its strengthening effect on the internal obliques. Not bad for standing on one leg, eh?!!!

Now usually I would now be saying that I am off to practice my Savasana, but not today...I am now off to practice my yoga... Class Fifteen... Half way through!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment