Wednesday 9 June 2010

Dandayamana-Dhanurasana

Day Nine of Thirty
(5.30pm, 9th June, taught by Rachel)

Not quite as head-rushingly, yoga-buzzingly, toe-tingly good as yesterday's class but still enjoyed it! Good energy and managed all bar a couple of the postures. Nope, it wasn't Camel... I got into Triangle and immediately lost any power/strength I had in my legs so unfortunately it was sit down or fall down, and my elbows hurt like hell so the full Salabasana was not forthcoming tonight... but I tried my best and at the end of the day that is all I can do.

It appears that my quandary from last night has been taken out of my hands... it appears that my blog has been read by Sharan and Rachel and I will be doing standing stick tomorrow! Me and my big mouth...oh well, methinks I may have to do a few practice postures tomorrow at work in between meetings!

Tonight's posture is Standing Bow-Pulling Pose. I have to say that I am quite partial to this posture and am often found on one leg, kicking my other leg up and back whilst in the kitchen making tea! However, as with all of this yoga business it isn't as simple as all that. I can get nice and deep into the posture on my right hand side, however I find it a hell of a lot more tricky on the left... All very weird! One thing I did find very useful was a class that was taught by Libby who suggested that once you were in the posture, but before kicking back, that you lean back and then kick. It really helps get the back bending and the back leg into a position so it can be kicked up and back. Then there is the who issue of the arm out in front, aiming straight at the mirror in between the eyebrows, chin to the shoulder and lowering the body down. I can get up to this point then it really starts to get tricky! Getting my body right down tends to send me flying forwards. I guess that the deeper and further into the expression of postures that you go the more difficult it gets and highlights the need for a good solid foundation. The other thing that can through me is the weird changes in blood pressure and circulation. Of all of the postures this is the first to give a really good, guaranteed head-rush if I do it properly.

So ready for some science?
  • Apparently this is a perfect example of the tourniquet, or damming, effect of yoga as it transfers the circulation from one side of the body to the other which helps flood organs with fresh blood. (Though would explain the head-rush!)
  • It helps develop concentration, patience and determination (as per the last posture).
  • It is also great for firming the abdominal wall and upper thighs and tightening the upper arms, hips and bum. (I knew I liked this for a reason!)
Being the bit of a saddo I am I have booked Wednesday 30th June off work and have now worked out that I can do a Beginners (Normal) class followed by an Advanced class and count my Advanced class as number 30 which should make for an interesting final class. (Anyone who has attended, or watched an Advanced series will know that the class is very different but is an absolute scream as some of the postures defy gravity and what is physically right and proper! A great little video of a guy called Esak Garcia demonstrating some of the advanced postures can be found here. It shows some seriously beautiful yoga... oh well one day... who am I kidding?!!!)

As ever, off to practice a little light Savasana.

1 comment:

  1. Yes David we are reading and very much enjoying your blog.... Looking forward to your demo this eve!!

    ReplyDelete