Sunday 27 June 2010

Janushirasana with Paschimotthanasana


Class Twenty-Seven of Thirty
(10am, 27th June, taught by Nicky)

Felt very achey this morning as I made my way to the studio - that is what a double plus a posture clinic does for you! I decided that I would take it easy and concentrate on my breathing. I managed to get through all of the postures with the exception of one expression of Triangle... even managed a perfectly presentable pair of camels! It was interesting being taught by Nicky... I have been taught by her once before and it was lovely to see her again. It does go to show how much impact a teacher has on the energy, speed and feel of a class. (I especially liked the line in the dialogue that went 'You can have a drink now whenever you want providing it is not when people are in a posture...' this came just after the first water break and may have been directed at a couple of people in their first class, but it was nice to hear and I only had one drink - just before fixed firm pose.)

So today is about Head to Knee Pose with Stretching Pose. Now I have to admit that this is one of the postures that does not really get my fullest effort. It is at the end of the series and to be honest I often have already mentally got up off my mat and have left the room. Today in Posture Clinic we covered the floor series and the importance of this posture was driven home. I will certainly be making more effort in future. I have found this posture difficult as my foot often slips under the out-stretched leg. Because I have long legs it can be difficult but it does come at the end of the series so should be able to pull myself into it! Then there are the stretching postures... this can be just torture... I get what I am supposed to be doing but it is just so hard... but again I promise I will try harder!

Science?
  • This helps balance blood sugar levels
  • Improves the flexibility of ankles, knees and hips
  • Increases circulation to liver and spleen
  • Works the last 5 vertebrae of the spine.
I decided I wasn't going to do the second class today. The Posture Clinic was amazing (Thanks again to Libby and Rachel and my fellow classmates) but it is such a lovely day outside I thought a few rays were in order, plus I am up to date with my classes.

Just 3 more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment