Sunday 13 June 2010

Dandayamana-Bibhaktapada-Janushirasana

Day Thirteen of Thirty
(5.00pm, 13th June, taught by Rachel)

A tough one. Just wasn't really in the mood to be honest. Spent a lovely afternoon up the allotment dealing with the weeds and didn't really want to stop as I was really making headway! Anyhow, it is thirty day challenge and that trumps weeding so I dutifully made my way to the sweat-pit. It was a surprisingly busy class, and the energy was certainly up, I just wasn't. Having said that I did all of the postures and didn't sit anything out.

I have noticed a few aches and pains over the last couple of days so have started taking Glucosamine and Omega 3, will also get some Cod Liver Oil as well, see if that helps with my knees and may take a day of doing the 'if you have problems with your back' options during the class. I know that when I used to run I would often need to take a day between long runs during the marathon preparation to let my body settle down.

So today is about Standing Separate Leg Head to Knee Pose. This is a bit of a grim one. It looks oh so simple but it isn't. I have found it does help if the step to the right is quite a wide one. I bizarrely find the instruction about turning on feet (or is it heels?) difficult to follow - one of the first signs of Yoga-brain setting in. Tucking your chin right in does make it easier to get your head to your knee. Then of course there is the issue of making sure you don't fall over - more inner thigh strength I am told! As for the dialogue... there are another couple of great bits in there... I am aware I have a Thyroid gland, I think it is in my throat (I seem to remember having an art teacher at school who had something wrong with hers and she had an operation which left her looking like she had had her throat cut!) however I was unaware of the existence of a Parathyroid. Thanks to the wonders of Wikipedia you can click to find out about them both (Thyroid - Parathyroid) (Apparently the Parathyroid was the last major organ to be identified in the human body having been firstly discovered in an Indian Rhinoceros by Richard Owen in 1850 - see learn about Yoga practice and human biological history as well!!!) The downside of this posture is the fact that by the time it appears in the series the sweat is really flowing so there is lotsof it running into your eyes as your head is facing downwards and the fact the your throat is well and truly choked... not nice, and apparently it is Rachel's least favourite... methinks there will be many a student breaking open their piggy banks, raiding the rainy day account and borrowing the kids college fund to buy the opportunity to teach this posture as part of the studio's Charity Class on 11th July where students get to teach the teachers... (More details available from the studio.)

What's that I hear...you want more science?! OK:
  • Slims the abdomen, waistline, hips, buttocks and upper thighs
Need I say more? Is this not enough?!!!!

Yep, it's Savanasa time.

No comments:

Post a Comment