Saturday 19 June 2010

Bhujangasana

Class Eighteen of Thirty
(10am, 19th June, taught by Libby)

A better class today! I moved today and practiced towards the middle of the studio, and tell you what it gives you a new perspective! Standing there watching fifty odd people Paranayama breathing in unison was amazing and felt great to be a part of it!!! What was also great was that all 5 teachers were in... 4 on mats and Libby as the YJ (Yoga-Jockey!). It had a good energy and I managed to get through the whole class and only had to sit out Camel, which I need to stop psyching me out. But all in all I think it was a good one... hopefully we have turned a corner!

Today is about Cobra Pose - The first of the 'Spine Strengthening Series' it is a good barometer of how the rest of the series is going to go. If I am having a good class then I am able to get deep into this posture and hold it well, but it is also very possible that all the power I have in my body can get 'zapped' fairly quickly and then it is heading towards game over! However, on the up side when it does go right it is a really nice deep back bend and feels great. Once I have the backbend sorted then the trick is keeping the tops of my feet on the floor and knees locked meaning that they are up off the mat. The danger is that as I like the posture and can do a fairly decent job of it (on a good day) my mind can wander and I end up thinking about what is coming next (Locust) and that starts the heart racing and adrenaline pumping and then it gets difficult to hold the posture as my breathing goes. It is really a case of staying in the moment and not anticipating anything - as ever easier said than done.

Herpetology anyone? (Snake Science - Cobra Pose!!!!)
  • One of the best ways to maintain the body in perfect condition
  • Works on spinal strength and flexibility helping prevent backache
  • Helps with lumbago, rheumatism and arthritis of the spine
  • Helps with menstrual issues (irregularity, cramps, backaches)
  • Good for bad posture
  • Improves how the liver and spleen function
  • Corrects bad posture
  • Strengthens deltoids, triceps and trapezius muscles
Time for a little Savasana I think...

No comments:

Post a Comment